Artificial Insemination Chilled Semen
Artificial Insemination Services for Horses in Brisbane, Ipswich and Lockyer Valley
Have you considered artificial insemination (AI)?
AI using fresh chilled semen has many advantages for your breeding program. Most importantly, AI ensures your mare is bred at the optimum time for conception.
A successful AI program relies upon the skills of the veterinarian to correctly process, package and transport chilled semen to your mare. At our practice, a conception rate of at least 70% can be achieved using chilled semen.
How long is chilled semen viable for?
Fresh chilled semen can last up to 48 hours. Ideally, it should be inseminated into the mare as soon as possible after collection, preferably within the first 24 hours.
What are the advantages of AI using chilled semen?
While AI is proven to increase the likelihood of conception for your mare, there are many other distinct advantages association with AI.
- Limitless opportunities to breed with high quality stallions outside of your local area
- Allows shy or maiden mares to be successfully bred without the stress of live cover
- The risk of sexually transmitted disease is significantly reduced as mare and stallion are tested prior to collection and insemination
- There is no risk of injury to your mare or stallion during breeding or transport
- Semen count and quality are evaluated at the time of insemination
- Prevents stallion overuse, while increasing the number of mares that can be bred
What are the disadvantages of AI using chilled semen?
AI is increasingly used as part of a successful breeding program. However, there are some limitations that you should consider.
- The success rate of AI highly depends upon the skills of the veterinarians in charge of your mare and stallion, with poor handling of semen the most common reason for its failure
- AI using fresh chilled semen can be more expensive than other breeding options
- An in-heat or phantom mare is required for semen collection
- To facilitate conception, the mare needs to be closely monitored during ovulation
Your Next Steps
To discuss artificial insemination for your breeding program, call us today on (07) 5411 4554 to speak with a qualified veterinarian.