Artificial Insemination Frozen Semen
Artificial Insemination Services for Horses in Brisbane, Ipswich and Lockyer Valley
Have you considered artificial insemination (AI)?
AI using frozen semen has many advantages for your breeding program. Most importantly, AI ensures your mare is bred at the optimum time for conception.
A conception rate of approximately 60% can be expected when using frozen semen. However, conception rates higher than 75% have been achieved at our practice. The internationally accepted conception rate is 30% per cycle.
How long is frozen semen viable for?
If stored correctly, frozen semen can last indefinitely. Excellent results have been achieved with frozen semen more than 20 years old. However, it’s impossible to predict how well your stallion’s semen will freeze without prior testing.
What are the advantages of AI using frozen semen?
While AI is proven to increase the likelihood of conception for your mare, there are many other distinct advantages associated with AI.
- Limitless opportunities to breed with high profile national and international stallions
- Allows shy or maiden mares to be successfully bred without the stress of live cover
- The risk of sexually transmitted disease is significantly reduced as mare and stallion are tested prior to collection and insemination
- There is no risk of injury to your mare or stallion during breeding or transport
- Semen count and quality are evaluated at the time of insemination
- Prevents stallion overuse, while increasing the number of mares that can be bred
- Perpetuates the genetic use of a stallion after his death
What are the disadvantages of AI using frozen semen?
AI is increasingly used as part of a successful breeding program. However, there are some limitations that you should consider.
- The success rate of AI highly depends upon the skills of the veterinarians in charge of your mare and stallion, with poor handling of semen the most common reason for its failure
- AI using frozen semen can be more expensive than other breeding options
- The semen collected may not be suitable for frozen storage
- An in-heat or phantom mare is required for semen collection
- To facilitate conception, the mare needs to be closely monitored during ovulation
Your Next Steps
To discuss artificial insemination for your breeding program, call us today on (07) 5411 4554 to speak with a qualified veterinarian.